A modern, silver Armada Dish.
Hallmarked Sheffield 1998.
Diameter approx. 25.5 centimetres/10.0 inches.
The original Armada dish was from a silver service comprising twenty two dishes of varying sizes, recovered in the early 20th century from a field near Dartmoor. It had been buried around 1645 during the Civil War to avoid seizure by Parliamentary troops. The then owner held a command in the Royal Forces at Plymouth.
The dishes were previously part of the banqueting service of his great-uncle, Sir Christopher Harris, who's collection included silver, supposedly from the Armada.
The original Armada dish bears the arms of Sir Christopher Harris, along with London hallmarks for 1581, 1599, 1600 and 1601.
These staggered hallmarks, characteristic of the Elizabethan era, are reproduced in this attractive and faithful replica.